Effective January 1, 2024, all RCPs in the State of California who wish to maintain an active license will be required to begin completing 30 hours1 of continuing education (CE) for license renewal as follows (see the implementation schedule and information):
- A minimum of 15 hours must be directly related to the Clinical Practice of respiratory care.
- A minimum of 10 hours must be directly related to RCP Leadership.
- The remaining five CE hours may be earned through courses that meet the criteria above or courses that are indirectly related to the clinical practice of respiratory care including attendance at meetings provided by the Respiratory Care Board, California Society for Respiratory Care (CSRC), or American Association for Respiratory Care (AARC) as designated by and at each provider’s discretion.
In addition, a minimum of 15 of the total 30 required CE hours must be earned from live courses or meetings which include in-person AND online platforms where licensees can directly interact with the instructor in real time during the instructional period.
Please review the Implementation Schedule and Information to see how and when the new CE requirements will affect your license renewal. The first group of licensees that must meet the new requirements beginning January 1, 2024, are those with licenses that expire December 31, 2023.
- Credentialing and Certification Exams (Clinical Practice CE)
- Qualified Preceptorship (RCP Leadership CE)
- Law and Professional Ethics Course (RCP Leadership CE)
- Courses Indirectly Related to Respiratory Care
- Courses Not Recognized for CE
- Approved Providers
- Record Retention
- CE Laws and Regulations
- CE Booklet
1. If this is your first renewal since initial licensure, you are only required to complete 15 hours of CE.↩